Wednesday, July 10, 2024

New Release Tuesdays

 There has been some good stuff come out lately.  Let's take a look at some of the good stuff.  Kudos so Wal Mart for having some of these on the shelf so I do not have to depend on the Amazon man for all titles.


Civil War- A journey across a dystopian future America, following a team of military-embedded journalists as they race against time to reach DC before rebel factions descend upon the White House.  I am not sure about this one, this is a very touchy subject right now but I liked Alex Garland’s movies.  Will eventually get around to it.



New Adventures of Batman- Batman, Robin and Batgirl fight crime in Gotham City with the "help" of Batmite.  I love me anything Batman and I am very happy this got a blu release.  It was great having Adam West and Dick Ward back as the Caped Crusaders voicing.  Do not get me wrong Bat-Mite sucks but that’s what they had to do back in the 70s cartoons.



Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire- When the discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old must join forces to protect their home and save the world from a second ice age.  I think I have gone on record saying this before:  I am not a big Ghostbusters fan.  Pass.



Abagail- After a group of criminals kidnap the ballerina daughter of a powerful underworld figure, they retreat to an isolated mansion, unaware that they're locked inside with no normal little girl.  I have read great things about this movie and I like how the director came out ad said the marketing department gave away the end and spoiled the movie.   Well marketing did spoil it.  If you do not know who this little girl belongs to do not look it up and enjoy the movie.



Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare– The British military recruits a small group of highly skilled soldiers to strike against German forces behind enemy lines during World War II.  I enjoyed this action war movie very much.  Its got Reacher and Superman in it so what’s not to love?  This is the best Guy Ritchie movie I have seen recently, and this plays a lot like Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds.



Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire- Two ancient titans, Godzilla and Kong, clash in an epic battle as humans unravel their intertwined origins and connection to Skull Island's mysteries.  This one is not as good as the last one but I have been enjoying these a lot.  Kudos to Warner Brothers for keeping the budget in check and putting it into the visual effects and making it fun and profitable.  I look forward to the next one.



Perfect Weapon- An expert in "kenpo" karate avenges his Koreatown friend, slain by a mobster in Los Angeles.  This came out during the Seagal/ Van-Damme hey days and came and went with a whimper from what I recall.  Speakman became a working actor and was supposed to be on Walker, Texas Ranger in the later seasons but Judson Mills ended up with the role.  It’s a nice release from Kino Lorber and a pretty good action flick.



Last Kumite- One last kumite, one final battle - for the life of his daughter.  The lead in this is not very good but the movie is a very good homage to Bloodsport.  There are some great looking fight sequences in this action flick.  Shout out to Viking Samurai.



Robocop 2- RoboCop returns to protect the citizens of old Detroit but faces a deadly challenge when a rogue OCP member secretly creates a new, evil RoboCop 2.  This movie has grown on me over the years.  I considered it a disappointment when I first saw it but then I saw Robocop 3 and that makes this one look a whole lot better.  When are they bringing Robo back?  Peter Weller is not getting any younger.



Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid- Pat Garrett is hired as a lawman on behalf of a group of wealthy New Mexico cattle barons to bring down his old friend Billy the Kid.  I love Westerns but have never seen this one so I was elated when Criterion announced this awhile back.  Picked this up at Barnes and Noble during their Criterion sale for the month.



No comments: