Wednesday, January 8, 2020

New Release Tuesday

It's been really slow on the new release front with the holidays and such the past couple of weeks but we start the new year off right with last year's biggest surprise movie, a lower budget movie I really want to see, and a couple of others.  Let's check them out, by the way Happy New Year!


Joker- In Gotham City, mentally troubled comedian Arthur Fleck is disregarded and mistreated by society. He then embarks on a downward spiral of revolution and bloody crime. This path brings him face-to-face with his alter-ego: the Joker.  I am not sure how I feel about a villain origin story but if there is a villain to make a movie of this is the guy.  Phoenix seems to be a little nuts, or is that an act?  So, he should be perfect for this role and has already snagged a golden globe for it. The thing that intrigues me about this is that it is not a big CGI comic book flick but more of a 80s Scrocesse looking movie.  I am very interested in this and will spin it soon.



The Lighthouse- Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.  I really loved director Robert Eggers first movie The Witch from 2015 so I cannot wait to see his follow up feature here and see just how much more crazy he can give us.  What is even more cool here is that this is in an unusual 4x3 aspect ratio and it is black and white so it should look pretty cool and a little different.  The word on this is pretty good and I think this is only the second movie with Robert Pattinson I have seen so I need watch this to get a sense of this new Batman.




Dr. Cyclops- A mad scientist working in the South American jungle miniaturizes his colleagues when he feels his power is threatened.  A good classic from Kino Lorber that I have not seen in along time, may have to pick this up.


Depraved- A disillusioned field surgeon suffering from PTSD makes a man out of body parts and brings him to life in a Brooklyn loft.  I read about this movie in Fangoria a long time ago so it is nice to finally see this get a release.  This is a good looking, fresh take on Frankenstein that I have been waiting to watch.




1 comment:

quatermass said...

Yep, I think you should pick up Dr. Cyclops. A very unusual film for it's era.