Thursday, April 9, 2020

New Release Tuesdays

The battle continues here from home.  I only get out of the house two times a week for groceries and to get take-out from somewhere.  I am getting lots of cleaning done around the house, board games with the family, I am getting into Legos, and of course getting in plenty of movies and shows.  Go ahead, watch Tiger King.  It is a wild ride and you will not believe it is true but it is!  Also, Ozark is a solid show too, check those out.  Here is a few titles that came out the past two weeks worth taking a look at:


Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker- The surviving members of the resistance face the First Order once again, and the legendary conflict between the Jedi and the Sith reaches its peak bringing the Skywalker saga to its end.  This movie had a checklist of things to do to get itself out of the corner The Last Jedi painted the saga into, and a lot of things were checked off but this movie is still a bit of a mess.  Don’t get me wrong I still enjoyed it but after this trilogy concluded I felt kind of robbed that we never got all the original characters together in at least one scene in any of these movies ala we’re getting the band back together kind of scenario.  And it will never happen with character and actor deaths that have occurred since Star Wars came back.  It will be interesting to see where the mouse in the house takes this franchise to next in a galaxy far, far away.


VFW- A group of war veterans must defend their local VFW post and an innocent teen against a deranged drug dealer and his relentless army of punk mutants.  I really enjoyed this action flick and it reminded me a lot of John Carpenter’s Assault on Precinct 13.  It features great character actors who had their heydays in the 80s and 90s minus Stephen Lang who is still killing it today.  This is a Fangoria production that was shot here in Dallas and I recommend you give it a spin, it was very enjoyable.  Amazon had this scheduled for delivery a week after it came out, you know non-essential, but luckily Wal Mart had this on my grocery haul for the week so I got to see it in time.  


All the Pretty Horses- Two Texas cowboys head to Mexico in search of work, but soon find themselves in trouble with the law after one of them falls in love with a wealthy rancher's daughter.  This is a solid drama from Billy Bob Thornton directing.  I was hoping this was going to be his director’s cut but judging by the run time it is the theatrical version sadly.


Eddie Macon’s Run- A young man, harshly sentenced for a few minor infractions, escapes from a prison in Huntsville Texas and flees to Laredo, Texas, where he hopes to cross into Mexico for a reunion with his wife and small son.  I enjoyed this movie a lot as a kid,  I remembered we taped it from TV so it got watched quite a bit.  This has been part of Sony or MGM’s Ondemand DVD library for a long time but Mill Creek is releasing this blu ray so I will be sure to get a copy.

Beginning Bad Minton- I got plenty of time on my hands so I might as well learn something new.





No comments: