Tuesday, May 5, 2020

New Release Tuesdays

I am still here at home base and we are all doing fine and staying healthy.  I see that physical media sales are up and that is a good thing with streaming probably at an all time high right now.  The entertainment industry is in a weird place right now with theaters closed and and not looking like they are going to open anytime soon.  Super hero movies and huge tent-pole movies have just about pushed smaller budget studio and independent movies off the big screen and now some bigger studio movies are going VOD and they are showing to be successful.  I fear in the near future the only movies you will on the big screen are everything Disney owns.  Enough doom and gloom, here are some physical titles that have come out the last two weeks, check some of them out and stay healthy!

Guns Akimbo- A guy relies on his newly-acquired gladiator skills to save his ex-girlfriend from kidnappers.  This is a great looking action-comedy movie from the director of Deathgasm from 2015.  I have been looking for his follow-up and I read this is one of the best flicks this year.

Arkansas- Kyle and Swin live by the orders of an Arkansas-based drug kingpin named Frog, whom they've never met. But when a deal goes horribly wrong, the consequences are deadly.  This is directed by Clark Duke, which is his first directorial gig.  Look him up you will recognize him from Hot Tub Time Machine, The Office, and many other things.  This southern drama looks right up my alley and I looked for this at Target and Wal-Mart today but no dice, Amazon is taking weeks to get stuff right now so may be while before I get to this flick.

Bloodshot- Ray Garrison, a slain soldier, is re-animated with superpowers.  This came out I think the week Covid 19 struck and did descent business on its opening weekend but was quickly shifted to a VOD release which was probably a smart move because people were sitting at home wanting something new to watch anyway.  So, $20 for VOD and $20 for the blu-ray.  I waited for the blu, I would have something I can actually own for the same price.  I am on Team Rock but I will give this a spin tonight.

The Jesus Rolls- A spin-off from the Big Lebowski centered on the notable bowler, Jesus Quintana.  This is not exactly the next Lebowski film I want to see but that character was funny so I will give this a shot.  The Coens did not have anything to do with this but gave their blessing to Tuturro to make it.

The Lodge- A soon-to-be stepmom is snowed in with her fiancé's two children at a remote holiday village. Just as relations begin to thaw between the trio, some strange and frightening events take place.  I saw the trailer for this earlier in the year and it looks like a good creepy, home invasion/isolation horror flick.  This could not come out fast enough on blu.

Tigers Are Not Afraid- A dark fairy tale about a gang of five children trying to survive the horrific violence of the cartels and the ghosts created every day by the drug war.  This has made the festival route and got excellent reviews and I heard the director on several podcasts recently and she makes this movie sound very intriguing.  I remember she said her next movie is a Western with werewolves in it.  I am sold already on that.





No comments: