Sunday, January 13, 2013

Older Movies on the Big Screen Wishlist

Revival house or repertory cinema is not that big in the Dallas area and the few theaters that serve this function are in the shady part of town so yours truly chooses not to go to them. That and they start at midnight.  My kids do not care how late I stayed up the night before I have to be up early.  I will probably give in when an old movie on my big screen wishlist makes it to town.  Something like Dirty Harry, any of the Dollar trilogy, Classic Bonds, and Escape from New York will get me to go.

I did get to cross off one movie on my big screen wish list this past week.  Cinemark theaters has been doing a Classic series for the past few months and 1976's Best Picture Rocky was showing this week.  Look around the blog and you will see there is some love for Stallone on here.  I was not introduced to Rocky Balboa until 1982's Rocky III.  I had to catch up with with Rocky previous chapters on VHS.

I showed up thirty minutes early for the show not knowing what kind of crowd to expect.  It had been raining for about twenty four hours straight and it was cold outside so it was quite funny when I walked into an empty theater by myself.  Slowly before showtime a nice size crowd did fill the theater.  I was reminded this past summer when I saw The Avengers on the big screen opening night just how fun watching a movie with a crowd is. 

Watching Rocky with a crowd was no exception as the funny parts of the movie seemed that much better compared to sitting in my living room for the umpteenth viewing.  The part that really got to me and always does was the end.  The fight is over and Rocky accomplished his goal of going the distance with the champ.  Who won the fight is not known yet, it was that close so the judges are tallying their score cards.  Rocky is looking around for his girlfriend Adrian to share the moment. When she is able to get in the ring she tells him she loves him for the first time.  At that moment Rocky does not care who won the fight.  He is the champ not matter what.  Queue the music.

Do you have any movies on your big screen wish list?



No comments: