Friday, June 21, 2019

New Releases


 It has been a slow few of weeks on the physical media front but there are some notable releases that have come out lately.  Let’s take a look see:



Lords of Chaos- A teenager's quest to launch Norwegian Black Metal in Oslo in the early 1990s results in a very violent outcome.  This made the Alamo Drafthouse rounds recently but I have not been in a going to the movies by myself mood for awhile now so I am going to try to rent this to see what it is all about.




Double Impact- Twin brothers are separated when their parents are murdered but 25 years later they re-unite in order to avenge their parents' death.  I remember having a blast seeing this at the theater with my buddies. This is classic JCVD times two and you also get the Malpaso Mafia late, great Geoffrey Lewis too.  I already have this from a Lionsgate triple pack but I have liked what I have seen form these MVD releases so far so I might make the upgrade.



Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada– Ranch hand Pete Perkins looks to fulfill the promise to his recently deceased best friend by burying him in his hometown in Mexico.  Tommy Lee Jones the director is as almost as good as the actor and Barry Pepper was still relevant.  Do yourself a favor and go watch this movie.




Blue Velvet- The discovery of a severed human ear found in a field leads a young man on an investigation related to a beautiful, mysterious nightclub singer and a group of psychopathic criminals who have kidnapped her child.  I have tried David Lynch movies and he is just not my cup of tea but I am a bit older and wiser now so I am thinking about giving the guy another shot.



Captain Marvel- Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races.  Marvel keeps churning them out and I will admit this is nowhere near their best but it is very entertaining and the cat steals the show.



The Kid- The story of a young boy who witnesses Billy the Kid's encounter with Sheriff Pat Garrett. I love Westerns so anytime there is a good looking one out I will watch it.  This is not bad as I enjoyed the perspective of seeing William H. Bonney being more cold blooded then The Young Guns version I am most use to.  I must say Ethan Hawke has turned into a great character actor as his as Pat Garret is reason alone enough to check this out.  Give this a spin.



The Entity- A woman is tormented and sexually molested by an invisible demon. I do not get spooked by movies very much but this one always leaves my skin crawling after watching it.  I have not seen this in a long time, I am thinking like since VHS because the DVD of it was an awful full screen edition.  So thanks to the fine folks at Scream Factory for finally bringing us this on a new special edition blu ray.  It has great looking features on it too so Amazon get this delivered today. If you have seen this before and I only found out recently the nude scenes with Barbara Hershey are fake.  That’s some great special effects so it will be interesting to how those hold up on hi def.  





Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Batman, Batgirl and Robin forge an alliance with The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to fight against the Turtles' sworn enemy, The Shredder, who has teamed up with Ra's Al Ghul and The League Of Assassins.  This was a good mash-up.



Us- A family's serene beach vacation turns to chaos when their doppelgängers appear and begin to terrorize them.  I loved Get Out and was overjoyed when Jordan Peele won an Oscar for his screenplay but Us has the crowd is pretty divided on this one so I am in no hurry to check this out but I will get to it.



The Silent Partner- A timid bank teller anticipates a bank robbery and steals the money himself before the crook arrives. When the sadistic crook realizes he's been fooled, he tracks down the teller and engages him in a cat-and-mouse chase for the cash. This is one of those flicks that I have had the DVD on the wish list for a long time and if you wait long enough it will be on blu ray so I am glad I waited.  I have not seen this but I am always on the lookout for a good Santa Claus movie.


Mississippi Burning- Two F.B.I. Agents, with wildly different styles, arrive in Mississippi to investigate the disappearance of some civil rights activists.  Just looking at this cover makes me miss Gene Hackman.  This is a great drama about trying to find out what happened to these activists back in a time when the good guys were not necessarily the good guys in a small hick town.


The Brinks Job- Crime story based on the real armed robbery of the Brink's Building in Boston, Massachusetts, on January 17th, 1950.  I have never seen this and it has been out of print for along time and it is directed by the great William Friedkin (The Exorcist, Sorcerer) so I am very glad to see this finally get a blu release.

 





No comments: