Sunday, March 11, 2012

R.I.P. Blockbuster Stores



I have been a loyal Blockbuster customer for over twenty years through all their bad customer service and change over the years.  I have never needed much assistance there because I usually know what I want there.  Back in the day video tapes lined all the walls and they claimed they had over 10,000 movies there.  Looking around the store was half the fun and reading the back of the video boxes was the special feature back then.

Blockbuster has had bad management and did not adapt over the years and filed for bankruptcy and eventually was sold to Dish Network to stay alive.  Ever hear the story that before Netflix started that the idea was taken to Blockbuster but they rejected it because they believed people would not want to rent by mail?  That move proved to be their ruination. 

Since Dish took over they are closing stores so the deals there have been plentiful lately.  Dish started out by trying to move inventory with a blu ray blow out selling previously viewed blus 5 for $20.  My recent visits to the closing stores have yielded $1.99 dvds and $2.99 blus.  I will pay these stores another visit before the doors are shut for good.

I am not a downloading/streaming kind of guy because I have tried it a few times and I am not satisfied with the service yet but perhaps it will be better in the future.  I use to rent by Blockbuster online to do my movie watching at home but I stopped using that recently because I discovered another way to get physical dvds:


Redbox has it going on for a little over $1 a day.  Their only limitation is that they pretty much only rent new releases but that will please my cinema appetite.  For now.

So stop by your local Blockbuster store that is closing and see what deals you can score on some physical media.

No comments: