Wednesday, November 27, 2013

New Release Tuesdays

Sorry, I have been busy and lazy towards the new releases lately.  There have been some solid releases recently so check them out in order of newest to oldest:



Red was a great action comedy with some aging stars ala The Expendables but a lot funnier.  I'm not sure if it warranted a sequel but I am going to going to give it a shot.

I have not seen one episode of this show but I am going to give it a go soon as I have heard great things about it.  I already have the first two seasons so I will not be indulging in this awesome looking box set.

I vividly recall this box art from the video rental stores of the past but never got the chance to see it.  And even better it is from the Zombie master himself George A. Romero!  This comes from SHOUT  FACTORY so it will be a solid release.

I love director Edgar Wright as he did some awesome flicks in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.  This completes the trilogy as I look forward to some more greatness!

Not a bad looking generic action movie with Denzel and Marky Mark.  It cannot be that bad.

Eric Clapton went out on tour earlier this year as a guitar festival jam so this should be good.

SCREAM FACTORY brings us this 80s classic.  Man I have not seen this since my teenage years on Cinemax.

SCREAM FACTORY also brings us this John Carpenter classic.  This is Carpenter's homage to Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo as cops and bad guys are at siege in their own jail from a politically correct gang.  Great soundtrack and highly recommended.

This movie has caught much flack but not from this guy.  This thing desperately needed a reboot and I believe Zack Snyder did this franchise right and got it started nicely.  I loved that Russell Crowe's Jor-El was a bad ass, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Kevin Costner as Pa Kent.  I liked that everything you thought you knew about Superman was tossed out the window and new things are being created.  They have not even brought kryptonite into the equation as a weakness yet but I bet Batman does that in the sequel. This ran a little long and the end battle looked like a video game at times but I consider those minor gripes.  Bring on Superman vs Batman or whatever they are going to call it. 

Not a bad summer animated flick.  Not great either.


This was Showtime's attempt at making their own Tales from the Crypt.  Horror master John Carpenter came on board, hosted and directed two episodes of this anthology and brought veteran horror master Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) with him for the third story.  A Showtime release, a Laserdisc release, and a VHS were the only ways this has been seen until SCREAM FACTORY dug up this little gem.  I used to have a VHS copy of this from the laserdisc of this and it is a fun little horror flick with some nice stars and cameos in it.  I will let that be a surprise. 









No comments: