Tuesday, September 26, 2017

New Release Tuesday



The Long Riders- The origins, exploits and the ultimate fate of the Jesse James gang is told in a sympathetic portrayal of the bank robbers made up of brothers who begin their legendary bank raids because of revenge.  This is a great Western from director Walter Hill and it features lots of real brothers in it.  I have always thought Hill really nailed the time period here as everything from the guns, wardrobe, and music are fitting.  If you like Westerns and you have not seen this you need to give it a ride.



Transformers: The Last Knight- Autobots and Decepticons are at war, with humans on the sidelines. Optimus Prime is gone. The key to saving our future lies buried in the secrets of the past, in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth.  My boy loves these and since Marky Mark is in the newer ones I have continued watching.  I am sure this will be loud and cool looking and have very little substance behind it but I will still sit back and try to enjoy.  The box office take on this sequel was down quite a bit so maybe Paramount will start putting a little TLC in to the next one which I believe is the Bumble Bee movie with Jon Cena.


47 Meters Down- Two sisters vacationing in Mexico are trapped in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean. With less than an hour of oxygen left and great white sharks circling nearby, they must fight to survive. There will never be another Jaws.  They can try remakes and sequels and wannabes like this one but Jaws will never be topped.  This looks descent and got kind reviews too so I may give it a shot.  The Shallows was pretty good and maybe this one will be too.  Now, just tie me a sheepshank.



Flatliners- Five medical students experiment on "near death" experiences that involve past tragedies until the dark consequences begin to jeopardize their lives. I have not seen this in a long time and I am ashamed to admit I kind of forgot about it because I liked it a lot back in the day.  It has a stellar cast and is very original for a horror flick.  This was directed by Joel Schumacher (The Lost Boys, Falling Down) back when he was making cool stuff before Warner Brothers ruined him by having him make Batman movies that would sell toys.

No comments: