Saturday, September 10, 2011

John Carpenter's The Ward

I'm a huge John Carpenter fan.  This guy had a run of great movies from 1976's Assault on Precinct 13 to 1988's They Live like no other director.  He has not done anything since 2001's Ghost of Mars which was like a remake of Escape from New York, Assault, and The Thing all wrapped in one movie.  So I was quite excited he was getting behind the camera again with The Ward.  This movie has been waiting for a distributor for a little while, never a good sign especially when you have a known director behind it.  So it was finally picked up and got the dreaded straight to video release.  Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against DTV's, there are plenty of good movies that come out that way but seeing one of your favorite directors getting that treatment is a bit disheartening.  So I get this on release day, pop it in and I like the nice, John Carpenter like black screen and white letter credits but after that I could not tell who directed this.  A very bland story of some young women in a Psychiatric Hospital which is haunted by a ghost.  A real disappointment with no signature of Carpenter any where on the film.  Carpenter traditionally does his own music but skipped out on that for this as well.  Carpenter has no new projects on the horizon so maybe he will just stick to cashing checks for all the remakes from his old movies but I hope he makes a return to form soon.


 

No comments: