Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Triple Shot Tuesday Horror Flicks



I have been working a lot recently so I decided to take off early on Tuesday.  I went to the gym, got my heavy lifting session in, 3 miles of cardio, and did not brag about it on Facebook either.  I also ran errands, picked up some little people, picked up some blu rays, and yelled at some kids for throwing rocks at my house.  My day was complete by 4pm so I had all night to chill and what better way to do that than to watch some horror movies.  I decided to get caught up some new Scream Factory titles I got and a new little title just recently released.  



I have never seen this little gem from 1981 before and this was pretty good.  This ranks well with all the other horror released at the time.  Now this offers nothing new, it’s counselors at a summer camp being hunted by a killer out for revenge.  It’s a pretty creepy movie and looks fantastic.  Also sports a cast of a young Jason Alexander and Holly Hunter along with make-up from horror icon Tom Savini.



I just stumbled upon this at the store new release section and looked it up on IMDB.  It’s got nice reviews but what caught my eye is that it was made on a budget for $35-40K.  A horror theme park is going out of business so the employees decide to party after closing one night but two masked guys show up and the park employees start disappearing.  Despite its budget limitations and bad acting this little horror flick was put together well and has a nice score too.  I can definitely tell this director is a big John Carpenter fan.



Speaking of the great John Carpenter, I finished the night with John Carpenter’s Body Bags.  This was a Showtime pilot that was not picked up but at least got this anthology release.  This has 3 shorts on it with The Gas Station being the highlight of the movie which was directed by Carpenter.  It features another short by Carpenter and one from horror director Tobe Hooper.  I have not see in this in a long time as I had a VHS copy from laser disc so I was glad Scream Factory released this last year.


No comments: